Saturday, March 5, 2011

Wells Fargo Must Not Bank In Dubai

The next week of posts will be based on experiences and observations that I'm having while visiting the Middle East, as I am currently in Dubai for a grad school class. Enjoy!

Before you ever leave the country, it's always wise to call your bank to make sure they know you'll be out of town so they don't shut off your card when charges appear from overseas.

You would think it'd be easy to call Wells Fargo and let them know that I was travelling to Dubai. Nope. Here's how it went.

Call # 1 -- hold please. 14 different phone prompts. finally a live person gets on the phone, asks me for my account # and then says, "Does this account belong to YOU?" Yes, it actually does. "Hold please." And then she hangs up on me.

Call # 2 - hold please. 8 different phone prompts. automated message says, "Sorry we can't help you at this time." Then the line hangs up on me.

Call # 3 - hold please. 14 different phone prompts. finally a live person gets on the phone, asks me for my account # and then says, "Oh, in order for us to help you, we need another form of ID. Can we have your other acct #s please?" Why would I know these or have these in front of me, at the airport???? "Sorry, we can't help you." And he hangs up on me.

Call #4 - hold please. 14 different phone prompts. finally a live person gets on the phone, and I say" YOU ARE THE FOURTH PERSON I"VE TRIED TO TALK TOO!!! DON'T HANG UP ON ME OR TRANSFER ME AGAIN!!!!!!

So, she doesn't. I tell her I'm going to Dubai and I need to make sure my card won't get shut off while I'm there for suspicious activity.

Her first question, "Where is Dubai?"
Really? You have no idea? I tell her it's in the UAE.

She replies," Where is that?"
Um, the Middle East!!

Plan ahead if you're planning on calling Wells Fargo. It's gonna take a while.

If you happen to work at Wells Fargo, here's a map for future reference:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dubai&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dubai+-+United+Arab+Emirates&ll=25.264568,54.788818&spn=2.304903,11.206055&z=7

No comments:

Post a Comment